You are Qualified – now What?
The first year after graduation can be the toughest, trying to enter the job market.
How to you begin your Job Search?
Firstly, you will need to decide a few things:
- What type of position are you interested in?
- Where will it be based?
- What are your salary expectations?
Today’s technology makes it easier to begin your search and you need to use as many methods as possible if you are serious about finding a job.
- Google Search
- Answering Newspaper adverts – both National and Local.
- Company websites
- Recruitment Agencies
- Job Sites/Portals
- Networking with friends, family, former teachers or professionals you know
- Phoning companies listed in the business directories
- Knocking on doors of companies
- Approaching companies in your field and contacting the relevant line manager
According to Richard Bolles (author of What Color Is Your Parachute? A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers) the effectiveness of the search increases with the number of channels used. The most successful job hunters tried out 3-4 of these methods.
It takes perseverance and patience. It will be worth it in the end.
Here are some more links that will assist you in to find that perfect job